Windows Authentication & Task Icons

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:59 PM
Edited Mar 29, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Setup:

IIS Express configured with Anonymous Authentication disabled and Windows Authentication enabled.

Issue:

Everything seems to work as expected however after the site is pinned, the tasks do not have their associated icons in the task bar. If I go ahead and flip anonymous access on and re-pin the site the icons show. I am wondering if somehow it attempts to access the icons before the authentication is granted. Any ideas?

Mar 29, 2011 at 10:17 PM

Hi S52M3,

That may be the case. What if you moved your script block to the bottom of the page, just before the close body tag?

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:47 PM

Does not seem to make a difference.  Everything is also inside a .ready()...

Mar 30, 2011 at 3:08 PM

Are your icons accessible to an anonymous user? I assume your auth rules in web.config have the images in a protected directory, right? Can you post a link to a sample on Github or BitBucket?

Apr 4, 2011 at 7:27 PM

The issue is that you cannot disabled anonymous access all together in IIS and expect to be able to override it with web.config.  The way to get around this is to enable anonymous access, but require it via web.config for all of your folders except for the ones that deal with styling/icons/themes etc.